Mountain First Aid
Learn how to deal with injuries or accidents whilst skiing, hiking, biking or taking part in other activities in the mountains.
This course is split over 2 modules. The first module is a hands-on workshop on how to give Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) to both children and adults plus other related topics. The second module covers the provision of First Aid specifically for mountain sports.
During the CPR Module, you can expect to:
- Learn what number to call in a medical emergency and what to say.
- Understand the principles of CPR for babies, children and adults.
- Use manikins to practice the skills of performing chest compressions and giving rescue breaths.
- Practice how to help a choking adult, child or baby using innovative training aids.
- Learn what to do in the event of drowning.
- Understand the common causes of unconsciousness and practice the safe positioning of an unconscious person.
- Learn the symptoms and signs of a possible heart attack or stroke and their First Aid management.
During the First Aid Module you can expect to:
- Get advice about when and how to call mountain rescue.
- Understand the correct procedure to follow during rescue helicopter landing.
- Understand the importance of head and spinal injuries and what to do.
- Practice how to deal with broken bones, sprains and knee injuries.
- Practice how to deal with major bleeding and more minor cuts and grazes.
- Learn how to prevent cold injuries including hypothermia and frostbite but also how to recognise and manage them if signs do arise.
- Gain a basic understanding of altitude illness – its symptoms, signs and treatment.
- Discuss what to have in your First Aid Kit and how to use it.
- There are no upcoming events.